Statin Side Effects...or not?

Many health professionals are convinced that statin-type cholesterol-lowering drugs do not cause any side effects. These physicians published a review that stated that very idea (European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, April, 2014):
“Only a small minority of symptoms reported on statins are genuinely due to the statins: almost all would occur just as frequently on placebo.”
But our readers say something quite different and share some common statin side effects below.
Q. I was put on statins when I was 40. By 47, I needed cataract surgery in both eyes. I became prediabetic and suffered from muscle weakness, memory loss and trouble finding the right words.
The cognitive difficulties became so severe I had to stop working. My doctor wants me to keep taking Crestor, but I wonder if statins are causing me more harm than good.
A. Statins can cause all of the side effects you have described. There is considerable controversy about the actual incidence of muscle weakness.
Some physicians, like those quoted at the top of this article, maintain that statins do not even cause muscle pain or weakness because they were not reported in the clinical trials sponsored by the drug companies.

No comments:

Post a Comment