Greg's Butter Experiment

A New York Lawyer named Greg decided to run an n=1 experiment.  He started eating a half stick (56 grams) of butter a day to lower his cholesterol.  He was careful and precise with his methods and even conducted a small statistical analysis of the results.  I first learned of his experiment when Seth Roberts posted it on his blog.
Seth and I have been eating a stick of butter a day for quite some time – in my case I’ve been doing it since 2005.  Greg took it a step further with his 1000-calorie omelet:
“In January I added half a stick of butter (about 57 grams) to my morning omelet. I first got this idea from Seth Roberts, who reportedly has been eating half a stick of butter per day for some time in order to increase his mental performance.  Seth believes butter has been good for his heart. Dave Asprey also recommends eating lots of butter for brain health, among other reasons. My omelet consists of four pastured eggs, half a stick of Kerrygold Irish butter, and three tablespoons of coconut oil.  That’s 1,076 calories, 110 grams of fat (75 grams from saturated fat) and 865mg of cholesterol. My diet otherwise stayed the same, though I was usually eating smaller portions of everything else.”
Greg tracked his cholesterol levels over time, and this is what happened:

No comments:

Post a Comment