I suffered a heart attack and had a quad bypass in Sept 2009. I was diagnosed with FH and commenced taking statins which I did until Nov 2012. During this period of statin medication I suffered terrible memory loss and muscle ache problems. I tried six different statins and they all had the same negative effect on me.
I decided to concentrate even harder on my diet and exercise regime and take a statin holiday, much to the disgust of my GP but he agreed in the end. Statins had brought my total cholesterol level down to 5 but my LDL and triglyceride levels were still elevated. After my six month statin holiday i had my cholesterol tested and it was just over 4 in total. My triglyceride levels were normal as was my HDL but my LDL was still slightly elevated. I continue to fight any increase in my cholesterol level by natural means and have no intention of ever taking statins again.
Enough of my history.....my question is.......I still have terrible memory loss and some muscle problems. How long after stopping statin medication does it take to recover if at all? Is the damage permanent? My GP told me that it takes at least six months to get the statins out of your system once you stop taking them. I have done all I can by any means other than medication to keep my cholesterol levels down and just want to have a memory like I did prior to taking the statins. Can anybody give me any help or advice please? Thank you
No comments:
Post a Comment